- Career Options
- Biological Biomedical Sciences
- Bioinformatics Scientists
If living beings-animals, plants or humans and their complex processes make you curious and you would like to take on the challenge of interpreting these complex processes produced in the form of huge data useful for biological information and be the part of growing biological research arena then choose Bioinformatics Scientists as your career option.
A Bioinformatics Scientist design and develop bioinformatics data analysis pipelines, evaluate and optimize bioinformatics tools for different data sets and analyses, develop and re-engineer data analysis software, and creates genome annotations. You will work in a fast-paced environment with other scientists and software engineers to design and develop an easy-to-use system for biologists without computational background.
Role of Bioinformatics Scientists
- Create new software applications or customize existing applications to meet specific scientific project needs.
- Communicate research results through conference presentations, scientific publications, or project reports.
- Analyze problems and large datasets and create novel computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals.
- Analyze large molecular datasets such as raw microarray data, genomic sequence data, and proteomics data for clinical or basic research purposes.
- Read latest journals and keep abreast with latest happening in the field by attending professional conferences.
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms including unsupervised and supervised machine learning, dynamic programming, or graphic algorithms.
- Manipulate publicly accessible, commercial, or proprietary genomic, proteomic, or post-genomic databases.
Academic Qualification for Bioinformatics
Few of the Indian colleges offers B.Tech in Bioinformatics. Candidates who have passed bachelor's degree in Bioinformatics can pursue Bioinformatics in Master and Doctoral level at Indian and foreign universities. Pharmacy graduates, medical, dental and veterinary science graduates as well as postgraduates in science are eligible for the admission to M.Tech courses.
Skills Required to be Bioinformatics ScientistsKnowledge Skills:
Sound knowledge of subjects like biology, computer and electronics and chemistry.Sound Logic and Reasoning Skills:
Critical thinking in solving problems, logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.Good Listening Skills:
Understanding what other people are saying and taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate.Problem Solving Skills and Goal Seeking Attitude:
The careful combination of problem solving and Bioinformatics technique displays goal seeking attitude is likely to produce more positive results.
Scope of Bioinformatics Scientists in India
Biological and medical labs these days use methods that produce extremely large data sets, which cannot be analyzed by hand. Thus they are in need of bioinformatics scientists as modern biological and medical research and development cannot be done without bioinformatics. In India one can even see future applications in biology, chemistry, pharmaceuticals, medicine, and agriculture.
In addition, bioinformatics plays an important role in biomedical research. Research work in the area of genetic diseases and medical genomics is rapidly increasing and the future of personalized medicine depends on bioinformatics approaches. There are different types of career opportunities available for different stream students. They can work as Scientific Curator, Gene Analyst, Protein Analyst, Research Scientist, Bioinformatics software developer, Computational biologist, Network Administrator, Structural analyst, Molecular Modeler, Bio-statistician, Bio-mechanics, and Database programmer.
For the complete list, click below: