- Career Options
If holistic treatment of patients fascinates you then go for the career as Chiropractors also called chiropractic physicians. Chiropractors treat patients with health problems of the musculoskeletal system, which is made up of bones, muscles, ligaments, and tendons. They use spinal manipulation and other techniques to treat patients' ailments, such as back or neck pain. In addition to operating a general chiropractic practice, some chiropractors specialize in sports injuries, neurology, orthopedics, pediatrics, nutrition, internal disorders, or diagnostic imaging.
Role of Chiropractors
Chiropractors typically do the following:
- Assess a patient's medical condition by reviewing his or her medical history, listening to the patient's concerns, and performing a physical examination.
- Analyze the patient's posture and spine.
- Provide musculoskeletal therapy, which involves adjusting a patient's spinal column and other joints by hand.
- Conduct additional diagnostic tests, including evaluating a patient's posture or taking x rays.
- Provide additional treatments, such as applying heat or cold to a patient's injured areas.
- Advise patients on health and lifestyle issues, such as exercise and sleep habits.
- Refer patients to other medical specialists if needed.
Academic Qualifications for Chiropractor
A 5 year integrated bachelor degree BSc (Chiro)
2 year Master's degree MSc Chiro
Skills needed to be a Chiropractor
The most important Essential Skills for Chiropractors are: numeracy, oral communication and decision making.
Empathetic listeners: Chiropractors must be empathetic listeners and keen observers of their clients.
Analytical mind: They need an analytical mind to understand and diagnose health problems.
Positive Attitude: As with other health professionals, they require a positive attitude and a sense of humor to put clients at ease.
Interpersonal skills: Chiropractors must be personable to keep clients coming to them. Also, because chiropractors frequently touch patients in performing therapy, they should be able to able to put their patients at ease.
Click on the list of careers under Healthcare