- Career Options
If you like patient care and love to be compassionate towards sick people then career as nursing could be the right fit for you. Nurses are health professionals who provide focused and highly personalized care. Nurses as a career offers a wide range of career opportunities, ranging from entry-level practitioner to doctoral-level researcher. It is also among the occupations with the largest job growth around the world.
Nurses also serve as advocates for patients, families, and communities. They develop and manage nursing care plans; instruct patients and their families in proper care; and help individuals and groups take steps to improve or maintain their health.
Role of Nurses
- Keep records of the patients' medical histories and symptom.
- Assess patient’s condition and set up plans for patients’ care.
- Observe patients and record the observations.
- Consult with doctors and other healthcare professionals.
- Operate and monitor medical equipment.
- Help perform diagnostic tests and analyze result.
- Create awareness among patients and their families how to manage their illnesses or injuries.
- Give details about after treatment home care.
Skills Needed to be Nurses
Eligibility: 10+2 with Biology, Physics and Chemistry
Duration: 3 1/2 years
General Nursing programme is to prepare general nurses who function as members of the health team, to hold first-level positions in both the hospitals and other such places.
Assessment Skills: Registered nurses must be able to assess changes in the health state of patients.
Compassion: Registered nurses should be caring and sympathetic, characteristics that are valuable when treating patients.
Right Decision: Registered nurses must make sure that patients get the correct treatments and medicines at the right time.
Emotional Stability: Registered nurses need emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
Patience: Registered nurses should be patient so they can provide quality care under stressful or hectic circumstances.
Interpersonal Skills: RN provides care for people of all ages and backgrounds so they should have good interpersonal skills.
Click on the list of careers under Healthcare