- Career Options
- Career Guide For Veterinarians In India
Career Guide For Veterinarians in India
Veterinary science which deals with the diagnosis and treating of animals, birds and crops has finally got its due recognition in India. With more than 500 million herds, India has the largest livestock population, the livestock industry contributes to 8 percent of the GDP and 32 percent of the GDP comes from agriculture or agricultural industry. Today, people are not only aware about veterinary science but also make an honest effort to take care animals, birds and mammals.
Educational Qualifications for Veterinarians
To practise, one needs to have a Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.) or Bachelor’s in Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & AH)
To pursue a Bachelor’s degree, one needs to pass Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology
Veterinary Council of India conducts an ‘All India Common Entrance examination’ (AICEE) for admission to B.V.Sc.
The duration of the BVSc & AH varies from four and a half years to five years, including the period of internship.
In the first four years of training theoretical and practical training is given. Disciplines like physiology, anatomy, livestock management and nutrition are taught. The fifth year is devoted to hands on training of which six months include internship. The internship includes three months’ training at the Teaching Veterinary Clinical Service Complex (TVCSC).
Most also opt for training for 2 years postgraduate course called Master in Veterinary Science. One can specialise during the postgraduate training.
Veterinary Entrance Exams in India
Some of the important Veterinary exams are:
- All India Common Entrance Examination
- JNU Combined Biotechnology Entrance Exam.
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Science University Entrance Exam
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research Entrance Examination
- Kerala Engineering Agricultural and Medical Entrance Test
- All India Pre Veterinary Test
- Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test
- Kerala Agricultural University Entrance Exam
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry Entrance Exam
Vet Colleges in India
Some of the top Vet Colleges in India are:
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute Bhopal
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bangalore
- Department of Fisheries, Chaudhary Sarwan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Agricultural University, Palampur
- Department of Medicine, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University
- College of Animal Sciences, CCS Haryana Agriculture University
- Department of Animal Breeding & Genetics, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Science University
- Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences
- Bombat Veterinary College
- College of Veterinary and Animal Science, Bikaner
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Puducherry
Job Prospects of Veterinarians in India
The veterinarians can find jobs in the following places in India:
- BSF Police
- Central Farms
- Quarantine Units
- Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Agriculture
- Poultry Farms
- State Livestock Farms
- Veterinary Hospitals/Primary Veterinary Centres
- Public Health Labs
- Zoos and wildlife centres
Remuneration of Vets in India
Average entry level salary ranges between Rs 25,000 to Rs 35,000 per month. Rest depends upon your growth and experience. If you have a private practise, you can earn more than 50,000 per month.