- Career Options
- Hospitality Tourism
Concierges are guest service workers and cater to the needs of guests in the hotel, so if you have good customer service skills and knowledge of local area, tourist attractions, restaurants and transport services then consider becoming one. They typically work in hotels, apartment complexes, clubs and restaurants and offer advice and information about services and locations in and around their establishments.
The concierge can become a hotel guest's social adviser, personal confidante, and all-around information provider, with knowledge of everything from antiques to zoos.For all concierges, the greatest reward is mental satisfaction and guests acknowledgement when someone says, “I don't know what I would have done without you.” There is a flexibility of working full or part time.
Role of Concierge
- Make dining and other reservations for patrons, and obtain tickets for events.
- Provide information about local features such as shopping, dining, nightlife, and recreational destinations.
- Make travel arrangements for sightseeing and other tours.
- Receive, store, and deliver luggage and mail.
- Perform office duties on a temporary basis when needed.
- Pick up and deliver items, or run errands for guests.
Skills of Concierges
- Courteous, friendly and professional manner
- Enjoy working with people
- Neat, well-presented appearance
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of the local area, tourist attractions, restaurants and transport services
- Strong planning, organizational and time-management skills.
- Additional languages are an asset, plus excellent command of English.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure.
- Desire to be a creative problem-solver.
Concierges work in hotels, and usually work in shifts. They may be required to work late at night or early in the morning. They also often work with, and around, large groups of people such as tour groups. If working night shifts they may be required to assist with the duties of other staff, such as kitchen or cleaning staff. They are often required to lift heavy luggage.
Scope of Concierges in India
With the hotel industry in India fast growing need for concierges has increased. They are employed as Activities Concierge, Chef Concierge, Chief Concierge, Club Concierge, Concierge, Conference Concierge, Guest Service Agent, Guest Service Supervisor, Hotel Concierge, Lobby Concierge.
Click below to find the complete list of careers in Hospitality Tourism