- Career Options
- Legal and Paralegal Services
Notary also known as Notary Public is one of the important careers in the field of legal profession. As neutral agents of the state, notaries can administer oaths, verify and authenticate documents being signed and keep public records.
Notaries are experienced advocates or public figures who are appointed by the state or central government on the recommendation of courts under the provisions of the Notaries Act LII of 1952 to authenticate legal procedures.
Eligibility of a Notary
- To become a notary through legal profession, candidates must obtain either 5 years or 3 years bachelor's degree (LLB) in Law.
- To apply for the Notary license, sufficient experience by years of practice is needed.
If not a legal practitioner, candidates should:
- Be a member of the Indian Legal Service or have been 10 years a member of Judicial Service
- Held an office under the Central or state Government, requiring special knowledge of law, after enrolment as an advocate or
- Held an office in the department of judge, Advocate- General or in the armed forces.
Role of Notary
- Verify, authenticate, certify or attest the execution of any document.
- Administer oath to, or take affidavit from, any person.
- Present any promissory note, a bill of exchange for payment or acceptance.
- Translate and verify the translation of any documents from one language into another.
- Act as a Commissioner to record evidence in any civil or criminal trial if so directed by any court or authority.
- Protest notes and bills of exchange.
- Notaries act as witnesses to the signing of oaths, affirmations, and official documents like contracts, deeds, affidavits, and depositions.
Skills of Notary
- Good Written and Communication Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Committed and disciplined
- Possess good knowledge of the law of the land
Scope of Notary in India
Notary services are always required, and being commissioned should enhance one’s prospects on the job market, especially in fields where notary services are needed such as law, real estate, health care, and banking. It is observed that candidates who want to be independent notary may not be prosperous because the fees that notaries are legally allowed to charge for each act are normally very low.
The careers included in legal and paralegal services are: