- Career Options
- Liberal Arts Humanities
- Art Director
An art director oversees the visual style and images in newspapers, magazines, product packaging and television and movie productions. An art director is usually responsible for the overall design department and works in conjunction with editors and photo editors. They direct others who create artworks and design layouts.
Role of an Art Director
- Formulates design concepts for visual communications media.
- Selects photographs, art, and other design elements to use.
- Responsible for the overall look and feel of a publication, an advertising campaign, or a theater, television, or film set.
- Instruct and supervise other design staff for the implementation of the design.
- Review designs, artwork, photography, and graphics developed by staff member.
- Coordinate with clients to develop an artistic approach and style.
- Works on presentations for clients.
- Manage accounts and projects and responsible for budgeting and deadlines.
Skills Required for an Art Director
An art director should be able to think creatively and create new designs and sets. Computer Skills:
An art director should have good computer knowledge as these days most designs, illustrations and images are developed and created on the computer. An art director should learn various computer programs in order to survive in today’s job market.Communication Skills:
Art directors should have excellent communication skills. They are required to talk to the clients and understand their needs and requirements. Art directors also have to interact with other designers, editors and illustrators.Leadership Skills:
Art directors are required to organize, motivate and direct others. They are required to ensure that the project is completed on time.Problem Solving Skills:
An art director should analyze ideas and use logic to determine strengths and weaknesses.
Pros and cons of an Art DirectorPros
- Handsome salary.
- One can demonstrate creativity at its best.
- No scope of getting bored as one is constantly designing for new clients.
- Option of working from home.
- Erratic working schedule.
- You can only climb up the ladder after several years of experience.
- Art director should always display originality in every design.
Click on the list of careers under Liberal Arts and Humanities