- Career Options
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
Computer and Information Systems Managers
Do you have a leadership quality, go getter and above all you would like to work in computer technology then your career browsing will end by becoming Computer and Information Systems Manager. They are also called IS Manager or IT Managers.
Information technology managers are responsible for implementing and maintaining an organization's technology infrastructure. With the encroachment of technology in every industry businesses rely on a central information processing system to support efficient data management and communications. The IT manager monitors the organization's operational requirements, researches strategies and technology solutions, and builds the most cost-effective and efficient system to achieve those goals.
The following are types of computer and information systems managers:
Chief information officers (CIOs) are responsible for the overall technology strategy of their organizations.
Chief technology officers (CTOs) evaluate new technology and how it can help their organization.
Role of Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Plan and direct installing and upgrading computer hardware and software
- Ensure the security of an organization’s network and electronic documents
- Assess the costs and benefits of a new project to justify spending to top executives
- Motivate, develop, and direct people as they work
- Involved in the upkeep and maintenance of networks
- Assign and review the work of their subordinates
- Stay abreast of the latest technology in order to purchase necessary equipment.
Skills of Computer and Information Systems Managers
Analytical Skills: IT managers must be able to analyze a problem, consider ways to solve the problem, and select the best one.
Good Communicator: IT managers must be able to express ideas clearly when speaking or writing and should be able to give clear instructions to their subordinates.
Creative Thinker: IT managers should be able to think of new ideas or original and creative ways to solve problems.
Leadership Skills: IT managers must be able to lead and motivate IT teams or departments so workers are efficient and effective.
Organizational Skills: Some IT managers must coordinate the work of several different IT departments to make the organization run efficiently.
Click on the following links for the complete list of Management Careers