- Career Options
- Athletic Trainers
If you love sports and healthcare then there is an opportunity as Athletic Trainers -a career option to ponder on. As an Athletic Trainer you may work with professional athletes or a high school soccer team, the basic role of the athletic trainer is the same: preventing and treating injuries of athletes. Athletic trainers can help you avoid unnecessary medical treatment and disruption of normal daily life; if you're injured, they are trained to work with your healthcare provider to get you on the mend and keep you on the move.
Role of Athletic Trainer
Athletic trainers typically do the following:
- Apply protective or injury-preventive devices such as tape, bandages, and braces.
- Recognize and evaluate injuries.
- Provide first aid or emergency care.
- Develop and carry out rehabilitation programs for injured athletes.
- Plan and implement comprehensive programs to prevent injury and illness from athletics.
- Do administrative tasks, such as keeping records and writing reports on injuries and treatment programs.
Skills Required to be Athletic Trainer
Applied knowledge: Athletic trainers need to be able to retain a wide range of medical knowledge. They must evaluate patients’ symptoms, consult with other healthcare professionals, and recommend and administer appropriate treatments.
Decision-making skills: Athletic trainers must be able to make quick decisions that could affect the health or career of their clients.
Detail oriented: Athletic trainers must be able to record detailed, accurate progress and ensure that patients are receiving the appropriate treatments.
Interpersonal skills: Athletic trainers must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to manage sometimes stressful situations. They must be able to communicate well with others, including physicians, athletes, coaches, and parents.
Some places Athletic Trainers Work
Athletic trainers work in a variety of different professional settings, including:
- Professional & Collegiate sports
- Secondary & Intermediate schools
- Sports medicine clinics
- Hospital ER & rehab clinics
- Occupational settings
- Performing Arts
- Law Enforcement and Military
- Physicians offices