- Department Of Official Language
Department of Official Language in India
With a view to ensuring compliance of the constitutional and legal provisions regarding official language and to promote the use of Hindi for the official purposes of the Union, the Department of Official Language was set up in June 1975 as an independent Department of the Ministry of Home Affairs. Since then, this Department has been making efforts for accelerating the progressive use of Hindi for the official purposes of the Union.
Functions of the Department of Official Language in India
- Implementing the provisions of the Constitution relating to the Official Language and the provisions of the Official Languages Act, 1963 (19 of 1963), except to the extent such implementation has been assigned to any other Department.
- Prior approval of the President for authorising the limited use of a language, other than English, in the proceedings in the High Court of a State.
- Nodal responsibility for all matters relating to the progressive use of Hindi as the Official Language of the Union including Hindi Teaching Scheme for Central Government Employees and publication of magazines, journals & other literature related thereto.
- Co-ordination in all matters relating to the progressive use of Hindi as the Official Language of the Union, including administrative terminology, syllabi, textbooks, training courses and equipment (with standardised script) required therefor.
- Constitution and cadre-management of the Central Secretariat Official Language Service.
- Matters relating to the Kendriya Hindi Samiti.
- Co-ordination of work relating to the Hindi Salahkar Samities set up by the various Ministries/Departments.
- Matters relating to the Central Translation Bureau.
- Matters relating to the Central Hindi Training Institute including Hindi Teaching Scheme.
- Matters relating to the Regional Implementation Offices.
- Matters relating to the Committee of Parliament on Official Language.
Services offered by the Department of Official Language in India
Department of Official Language, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India
NDCC-II Bhawan, 'B' Wing 4th Floor,
Jai Singh Road New Delhi - 110001