- Entrance Exams
UCEED 2019: IIT Bombay B.Des Admission Test
'The Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED 2019) is conducted for admission in Bachelor of Degree programme (BDes) in Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati(IITG) and Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing (IITDM), Jabalpur. The B.Des is a four year program offered to Class 12th pass students. More details given below.
UCEED 2019 Important Dates
- Start date for Online Registration: 9th October, 2018
- Last date for Online Registration with regular fee: 14th November, 2018
- Last date for Online Registration with late fee: 20th November, 2018
- Start date for Admit Card downloading: 1st January, 2019 onwards
- Last date for rectification of discrepancies in the admit card : 5th January, 2019
- UCEED 2019 Examination: Saturday 19th January, 2019
- Release of Draft Answer Key: 25th January, 2019
- Last date for sending Comments about Draft Answer Key: 31st January, 2019
- Declaration of result: 1st March, 2019
- Start date for Score Card downloading: 1st March, 2019
- Application for B. Des. programme: 8th to 30th June 2019
- Seat allotment round 1: 4th July, 2019
- Seat allotment round 2: 11th July, 2019
- Seat allotment round 3: 15th July, 2019
UCEED 2019 Participating Institutes
UCEED 2019 Result Sharing Institute
Following institute will offer admission in different Undergraduate Design programs on the basis of UCEED 2019 rank. However these institutes will not be part of Joint Admission Process administered by IIT Bombay. For exact details like eligibility criteria, admission timeline etc of UCEED 2019 Result Sharing Institutes check with the website or admission office of particular institute.
For admissions to "Result Sharing Institutes"
- Anant National University, Ahmedabad
- Aram Centre for Art, Design and Environmental Studies, Coimbatore
- ARCH College of Design and Business, Jaipur
- Chitkara University, Punjab
- Central Institute of Technology, Kokrajhar
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi (formerly Delhi College of Engineering)
- Khyati School of Design, Ahmedabad
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab
- MIT World Peace University, Pune
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Bengaluru
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- U.P. Institute of Design, Noida
- Vivekananda Global University, Jaipur
- VIT University, Vellore
- World University of Design, Delhi NCR
UCEED 2019 Eligibility CriteriaThe following eligibility criteria is applicable for all candidates, including a foreign national appearing for UCEED 2019
- Criterion 1 – Age limit:
Candidate belonging to OPEN or OBC-NCL category should be born on or
after 1st October, 1994. However, there is a relaxation of age limit for
candidates belonging to SC, ST or PwD category and should be born on or
after 1st October, 1989.
- Criterion 2 – Number of attempts:
A candidate can attempt for UCEED for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. The UCEED scores are valid for one year, and only for admissions in the corresponding academic year.
- Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination:
The candidate should have successfully completed their Class XII or
other equivalent examination in any stream (Science, Commerce, and Arts
& Humanities) in the year 2018, or appearing in 2019 are eligible to
appear for UCEED 2019.
Those candidates who have appeared for the first time in their qualifying examination in 2017 or earlier are not eligible to appear for UCEED 2019.
Qualifying Examination considered for UCEED 2019
- The Central or any State Board, class XII examination of the 10 plus 2 pattern, recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Two-year Pre-University or Intermediate examination conducted by any recognized Board or University.
- Two-year Final examination course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) Senior Secondary School Examination with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any University, Board or Public School examination in India or in a foreign country which is equivalent to that of the 10 plus 2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- 3 years duration Diploma programme recognized by the AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education.
- Advanced (A) level General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (Sri Lanka, Cambridge or London)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva or High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University.
- Candidates who successfully completed their Class XII or other equivalent examination outside India or from a Board not mentioned above should submit a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities to the effect that the examination that they have passed is equivalent to that of the Class XII examination.
- In case the Class XII examination that the candidates have passed is not a public examination, they must pass at least one public (Pre-University or Board) examination earlier.
Eligibility Criteria for Applying for B.Des Programme 2019-20
To apply for admission, an applicant is required to fulfill the following 3 criteria. The criteria, mentioned below, is applicable for all applicants including foreign nationals.
Applications from foreign nationals including PIO (People of Indian Origin) card holders or OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) are considered under the open category and does not come under the reservation category such as OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories.
- Criterion 1 – Age limit:
Candidate should have been born on or after 1st October, 1994. However,
there is a relaxation of age for candidates belonging to SC, ST or PwD
category and should be born on or after 1st October, 1989.
- Criterion 2 – UCEED Qualification:
The candidate should obtained a rank in UCEED 2019
- Criterion 3 – Qualifying examination:
- Candidate should have successfully completed their Class XII or other equivalent exam in 2018 or 2019.
- Candidates who have appeared in their qualifying examination for the first time in 2017 or earlier are not eligible to apply for B.Des programme.
- Candidates who have studied Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as compulsory subjects are eligible to apply to all the four institutes, i.e. IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Guwahati and IIITDM Jabalpur. Candidates from any other stream (Science without Maths or Physics or Chemistry, Commerce, and Arts & Humanities) are eligible to apply to only IIT Bombay, IIT Hyderabad and IIITDM Jabalpur.
- Candidates who are appearing for their Class XII or other equivalent in 2019 are also eligible to apply. However, they should ensure that-
i) by the date of registration in the respective admitting institute, all parts of their final examination are completed, and
ii) they are required to submit a proof of having passed the qualifying examination by September 30, 2019 to the admitting institute.
- Candidate should obtain a certificate from the Board specifying the passing grade in case it only awards letter grades without providing the passing grade on the grade sheet. The same should be uploaded along with the grade sheet. If in case the certificate is not provided, the B.Des Admissions Committee decision will be final.
B.Des. Seats Available For Academic Year 2019-2020
Find below the no. of available seats in Bachelor of Design (B.Des) programmes at IIITDM Jabalpur, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Guwahati and IIT Bombay for the academic year 2019-2020:IIT Bombay: 30
IIT Guwahati: 45
IIT Hyderabad: 10
IIITDM Jabalpur: 30
Total No. of Seats: 115
Seat reservation is available to Government of India Rules
UCEED 2019 Registration Process
Candidates are required to satisfy all the eligibility criteria to register for UCEED 2019. If later it is found that the candidate does not meet any of the eligibility criteria, their registration will be cancelled.
- Candidates can only apply online for UCEED 2019 by logging into the official website - uceedapp.iitb.ac.in
- Candidates should fill up the application form with all appropriate information regarding qualifying exam and category.
- Candidates should also upload all the required documents in the prescribed formats along with the application form. Incomplete in any way will be rejected and the application will be considered invalid.
- If in case it is found that the application is incomplete or any information provided by the candidate is incorrect, then the admitting institute possesses all the rights to cancel the admission of a candidate at any stage in accordance with the rules and regulations.
UCEED 2019 Registration Fees
Indian Nationals including PIO/OCI
- Female Candidates: Rs. 1200
- SC / ST / PwD Candidates: Rs. 1200
- All other candidates: Rs. 2400
- Candidates from SAARC countries: USD 160
- Candidates from Non SAARC Countries: USD 300
Registration Fee for Examination Centers in Dubai
- Indian Nationals including PIO/OCI: USD 160
- Candidates from SAARC Countries: USD 160
- Candidates from Non SAARC Countries: USD 300
Documents Required for UCEED 2019 Registration
Find below the list of certificates and other documents that are to be uploaded at the time of online registration for UCEED 2019.
- A recent color passport size photograph (taken within the last six months) of full front face view, with the head centered in the frame and covering a 70-80% of the photograph. The photograph should allow an unambiguous identification of the candidate. The format should only be JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg
- A scanned copy of candidate’s full signature on a white paper in JPEG image formats with file extension .jpg
- If appeared in 2017, a qualifying examination certificate in PDF formats with file extension .pdf should also be submitted
- Those candidates who are appearing for their class XII board exam in 2019, should submit a certificate from the school/college principal in PDF formats with file extension .pdf
- A gazette notification should be submitted if the name of the candidate is not same as in the Class XII certificate. The same should only be submitted in PDF formats with file extension .pdf
- Candidates seeking admission under the OBC-NCL, SC, ST or PwD category should submit the supporting certificate issued by a competent authority. It should only be in PDF formats with file extension .pdf
- PwD Candidates requiring Scribe and/or Compensatory Time during the exam needs to upload a request letter.
Application Process for B.Des Admission 2019-20
- UCEED 2019 qualified students can only apply for admission to the B. Des programme at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad and IIITDM Jabalpur for the academic year 2019-2020. There will be a common application form for all the 4 institutes for admissions to their respective B. Des programmes.
- The common application form will be available through the IIT Bombay Admissions Portal. Applicants are required to fill up the online application form with all appropriate details such as qualifying examination and category.
- Applicants will be able to select the institutes of their choice by indicating the order of preference and fill in their personal details.
- An application fees of Rs. 1000 will be applicable for all category and gender. The payment can be made online while submitting the final application form.
- Applicants are required to upload the digital copies of relevant supporting documents such as class XII or other equivalent examination marksheet, UCEED 2019 Score Card, Signature, recent colored passport size photograph and OBC-NCL/SC/ST Certificate, PwD Certificate, and OCI/PIO Card (if applicable).
- Applicants will be allowed to edit their application form, till the last date of the submission of application form. However, all applications will be treated as final, after the last date. Any change requests in the application form will strictly not be entertained under any circumstances.
- Application forms which are incomplete in any form, will be rejected and considered invalid. The admitting institutes possesses all the rights to cancel the admission of the candidate in any stage, if found that any information provided by the candidate is incomplete or incorrect.
UCEED 2019 Seat Allotment
The seat allocation will be conducted in three rounds. The seats will be allotted on the basis of the applicant’s UCEED rank, category and choice of institutes. Provisional allotment letters will be sent to the selected candidates via their registered email, and will automatically get directed to an online payment system to pay the Seat Acceptance Fee. However, the seat allocation will be closed, once all the seats are filled.Following rules are applicable for the joint seat allotment:
- If in case the selected applicant decline the admission or do not pay the seat acceptance fee on or before the the given deadline, their application will automatically stand cancelled. The vacant seats will be filled during the subsequent rounds of seat allotment.
- If a candidate is given his/her first preference of institute, they can either ACCEPT (‘freeze’) the choice or DECLINE it .
- If an applicant is allotted with his/her SECOND or THIRD choice of institute, then they can either opt to ACCEPT (‘freeze’) the choice, or ACCEPT WITH THE OPTION FOR CONSIDERING THEM FOR (‘float’) UPWARD MOVEMENT the choice for further round(s), if any, of the joint seat allocation.
- The ‘freezing’ option indicates that the applicant can ACCEPT the offer and do not want to further participate in other rounds of seat allocation. Therefore, such applicants are not considered in the subsequent rounds of admission.
- The ‘floating’ option indicates that the applicant has ACCEPTED the offered seat but if admission to a preferred institute is offered, they will accept it. Else, they will continue with the currently accepted institute. Therefore, such applicants will be considered in the subsequent rounds of admission.
- Applicants who choose the ‘float’ option, the seat allocation in an institute of his/her higher preference would automatically result in the forfeiture of the seat accepted by him/her in the earlier round.
- Candidates are required to pay the seat acceptance fees only once. Thus, they do not have to pay the seat acceptance fee again if they are allotted another seat (applicable with float option).
- If in case the applicant after paying the acceptance fees, withdraws during the end of first round or before the end of second round, his/her fees will be fully refunded after deducting the processing charges of Rs. 1000/-. However, no refund will be made after the end of last round.
UCEED 2019 Seat Allotment Fees
GEN and OBC-NCL: Rs. 60000/-
SC/ST/PwD: Rs. 15000/-
UCCED 2019 Exam Pattern
Duration: 3 hours
Total Marks: 300
Type of Exam: Computer based test
No. of sections: 3
- Section A: Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
The answer for these questions is a number that needs to be entered in
the computer screen by using a virtual keyboard. There will be no
choices shown for these questions. 4 marks will be awarded for each
correct answer. There will be no negative marking for this section. No
marks will be added or deducted for questions not attempted.
- Section B: Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)
The MSQs will have one or
more correct answer(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate only
scores 4 marks if all the correct options and no wrong options are
selected. There will be no partial or negative marking for this section.
No marks will be added or deducted for questions not attempted.
- Section C: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
The MCQ will comprise of
four choices out of which only one is correct. 3 marks will be awarded
for every correct answer and -1 mark will be deducted from every
incorrect response. No marks will be added or deducted for questions not
Things to remember on the Exam Day UCEED 2019
- Candidates are required to carry a print out of the downloaded admit card. Candidates with valid admit cards will only be allowed to write the examination.
- The invigilators as well as IIT representatives will verify the identity of the candidate. If there is a doubt in the identity of the candidate, he/she may not be allowed to sit for the examination. However, after completing certain formalities, the authorities at their discretion may permit the candidate to appear for the examination. Such candidates will not be allowed any compensatory time to complete the examination in lieu of the time taken for completing the formalities.
- Impersonation in the examination is a serious offence and may lead to criminal proceeding against the candidate.
- No electronic devices such as tablets, calculators, smart/digital watches, smart phones, mobile phones, etc. are allowed to carry by the candidates in the examination hall. Candidates are also not allowed to carry geometry box, study material of any type, log books, slide rule, abacus, etc. to the examination hall.
- Candidates will not be allowed to leave the examination hall until the entire duration of the paper is completed.
UCEED 2019 Syllabus
The examination will comprise of questions from the following six topics:
- Visualization and spatial ability
Pictorial and diagrammatic questions to test the knowledge of practical
and everyday mechanical and scientific concepts, understanding of
transformation and/or manipulation of 2D shapes and 3D objects and their
- Observation and design sensitivity
Ability to detect concealed properties in ordinary things, people,
situations, and events, and thinking critically about them. Applying
attention to certain details, analysing, reasoning, classifying,
inferring and predicting. Ability to discern the subtle differences between aesthetic outcomes and visual properties.
- Environmental and social awareness
General awareness of environmental factors such as climate, population,
water, vegetation, pollution, weather, natural resources etc., and their
implications on the design of products, images, infrastructure and
environment. Awareness of cultural and social connection with the history of the designed artefact,
design and socially responsible and
environmentally sustainable design responses. History of art, sculpture
- Analytical and logical reasoning
Ability to look at information, be it qualitative or quantitative in
nature, and discern patterns within the information. Ability to weigh
opinions, arguments or solutions against appropriate criteria. Ability
to check for hidden assumptions or hidden bias and whether argument and evidence support the conclusions. Ability to use logic and structured
thinking to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements
is the most accurate response to a posed question. Data Interpretation,
brainteasers, and patterns.
- Language and creativity
Ability to understand and use Standard English. Reading comprehension,
knowledge about English grammar such as sentence structure and usage, the
use of tenses, verb patterns, articles, and active and passive
constructions, etc. & vocabulary skills. Ability to think creatively
in terms of alternatives, ability to distinguish innovative options and
think out of the box.
- Design thinking and problem solving
Ability to use visual analogies, metaphors, signs and symbols. Select solutions, evaluate options, generate alternatives, identify problem, and ability to understand complexity.
UCEED 2019 Exam Centers
UCEED 2018 will be conducted at 20 cities in India. Candidates are required to opt for 3 cities in the order of preference, at the time of online application. The request for change of city will be not be permitted after the successful submission of the application form. A listed city may have even more than one center, however, a request for change of center even within the same town/city will not be permitted under any circumstances.
The list of UCEED 2019 exam centers are:
If there are not enough candidates in a listed city, then that city may be dropped from the final list of examination centers, and hence those candidates will further be allotted a centre as per their second choice or third choice.
P.S.: The UCEED 2019 Committee possess all rights to add a new town/ city or
even remove an existing one and allot a city/town that may not be among
any of the choices made by the candidate.
UCEED 2019 FAQs
- Which is the required academic stream in XII standard (or equivalent) to be eligible for the UCEED 2019 examination?
- Students from any stream (e.g. science, arts & humanities, commerce etc.) are eligible to apply for UCEED.
- Recommend few books to prepare for UCEED?
- UCEED is a design aptitude test. The Aptitude tests assume that an individual have their inherent strengths and weaknesses, and therefore they are naturally inclined toward success or failure in certain areas based on their inherent characteristics. Except for the syllabi section 'Environmental and social awareness' which will test the applicant’s general awareness in the topics outlined under it, the other five sections will test their aptitude. Consequently there are no fixed text or reference books that we can recommended for preparation.
- It is only by few days/weeks/months/years that I am short of the age eligibility criteria. Can there be an exemption for me?
- I have successfully completed my Class XII or other equivalent examination in 2017 (or earlier). Can there be an exemption for me to appear for UCEED 2019?
- How is it possible that students from all academic streams are eligible to apply for UCEED?
- Design is an interdisciplinary activity and therefore holistic design considers the culture, society, policy, media, economics, technology, arts and sciences. Successful designers have backgrounds in the arts, sciences and the humanities. However please note that only candidates from the Science Stream with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as compulsory subjects are eligible to apply to B.Des at all the three institutes while other stream candidates (Physics or Chemistry, Commerce or Science without Maths, and Arts & Humanities) can only apply to IIT Bombay and IIITDM Jabalpur.
- All design aptitude exams that I am aware of, only test the drawing skills. How can the drawing skills be tested in an objective type examination like UCEED?
- While drawing skills can demonstrate a person's visualization skills, there are equally effective or better ways to test such skills through objective measures. Besides, it has been recognised that many students may not have had the drawing skills training in their 10 plus 2 schooling, and therefore UCEED will not put them at a disadvantage.
- Why is UCEED not held in my city? Can you have a center in my city?
- The UCEED 2019 Committee very carefully consideres all logistical and operational factors, including information based on UCEED 2016, 2017 & 2018 applicants, before deciding on the 24 cities where UCEED 2019 will be held. For further details click here.
- I could not qualify in UCEED 2018. Can I appear again in UCEED 2019?
- Yes you can, provided you meet the eligibility criteria. It is to be noted that a candidate can attempt UCEED for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. The UCEED score is only valid for 1 year.
- Will there be any negative marking?
- The Section C of the question paper will only have negative marking.
- I made a mistake while filling up the application form. What should I do?
- Immediately send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with required application details such as mobile phone number, candidate name and registration number. The nature oof mistake should be clearly described in the mail. If possible, the mistake will be rectified or advise you on what to do next.
- After filling up the application form, I was unable to complete the fee payment. What should I do?
- This can be due to many reasons, including, slow internet speed leading to time-outs, bad connection to the payment gateway, conflicting browser settings or browser compatibility. Make sure you are using the recommended browsers and versions, clear your browser cookies and cache or try using a different browser altogether.
If the problem still persists, you should either call the contact person, or send an email to email@example.com with complete details of the application form (registration number, candidate name and mobile phone number) and stating the nature of the problem. All the problems related to the payment for each and every candidate will be sorted out before the last date of application submission.
- I am an OBC candidate. Can I apply under the OBC category?
- No there is no reservation under OBC category. However, ONLY OBC candidates with the NCL (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate can apply under the OBC-NCL category. OBC candidates WITHOUT an NCL certificate must only apply under the OPEN category.
- What are the validity requirements for the OBC-NCL certificate?
- The OBC-NCL certificate must be issued on or after April 1, 2018 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India. However, candidates who have qualified UCEED, when they apply for B.Des admissions in June 2019, must submit an updated OBC-NCL certificate that is issued on or after April 1, 2019.
- I did not get the valid OBC-NCL certificate before the application deadline. Can I upload my OBC certificate instead?
- I do not have a birth certificate for proof of date of birth. What should I submit?
- You can upload the copy of X class marksheet/school leaving certificate showing your date of birth or Aadhaar Card or a copy of passport.
UCEED Contact Details
UCEED enquiries may be addressed to:
JEE (Advanced), UCEED - CEED 2019
Powai, Mumbai 400076
Phone: +91-22-2576 4063/9093/9094