- Entrance Exams
NMAT: NMIS Management Aptitude Test
The NMAT i.e. NMIS Management Aptitude Test by GMAC (Graduate Management Admission Council) is an exam for admission in the leading management programmes in India. The NMAT Score is used as standard for admissions to many business schools in India for post graduate courses. It became a computer-based test in 2009 and since then NMAT by GMAC is used across the country as a reliable predictor for admissions to graduate business school.
The NMAT by GMAC exam focus on increasing access to the exam by building its strength. It is focused on giving more access to students and intake more women and non-engineers by encouraging students to take the exam. The test takers are offered practice material before actual exam so as to improve the performance. With the NMAT Score card by GMAC, one has the option to get admitted in an institute of their choice.
History of NMAT by GMAC
Earlier Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies has conducted the NMIMS Management Aptitude Test. However, since 2015, the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) is conducting NMAT. Now GMAC is responsible for the NMAT exam in India from the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS). It is designed to test the management skills and aptitude of candidates.
NMAT Different Programmes
When filling the application forms for NMAT, one should remember to select the course that they would like to pursue from the list of programmes. There is also a one time registration fee available and the candidates have the option to select from more than 7 courses. But when you are sending your scores to these different programmes, you have to pay a separate fee for each one of these. On seeing the results, the candidates can choose if they want a retest or apply to the relevant business schools.
NMAT Eligibility Criteria
This eligibility criteria applies for MBA/MBA-HR/PGDM/PGDBM. All the candidates who are willing to apply should have done a full time Bachelor degree (10+2-plus 3) in any discipline from a reputed or recognized University with minimum 50% marks during the first attempt.
For MBA Pharmaceutical Management
For taking this course, the candidate should possess a full Time Bachelor’s Degree (10+2-plus 3) in Science, Pharmacy, Life Sciences, BAMS, MBBS, BHMS, BDS, B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Biotechnology from recognized Universities with minimum 50% marks. Those with post graduate degrees like Bio- Medical, B.Tech., B.E. in Bio-Tech., Sociology, Psychology and Economics can also apply. Those with more than 2 years of Pharmaceutical Companies experience are given preference.
Those who are appearing for their final year exam also have the option to apply for NMAT 2017 but they have to secure at least 50% marks in their first attempt. All necessary original documents are required. Those with 2 or more years of post qualification experience are given preference here. During the admission period, the candidate should have cleared all the needed semesters for the exam and possess a separate mark sheet for the same. A consolidated mark sheet doesn’t suffice here. Candidates who did graduation examination from a University that supports Grade Point Average will be needed to produce in writing the equivalent percentage of their GPA/CGPA from the relevant University.
For International Candidates
International candidates have the option to appear for NMAT with a Bachelor's degree in any discipline with minimum 50% in the first attempt from a reputed university. In case of foreign students, a GMAT score of 600 and above is required.
International candidates with 2 years of post qualification experience are preferred. All candidates should have valid clearance from their government and the Indian Embassy.
The official announcement for NMAT has not been released yet. Here follows an indicative tabulation of provisional dates for NMAT. Applicants should keep a tab on the official website for further updates.
- NMAT Online Registration: July – October
- NMAT Scheduling: July – October
- Late Registration acceptance Window: October 1st week – 2nd week
- NMAT Registration - Retake October - December
- NMAT Rescheduling: December
- NMAT Exam Date: October – December
- NMAT Result will be declared in January
NMAT Test Fees
- Test Registration (Early): INR 2000 + applicable taxes
- Test Registration (Late): INR 2500 + applicable taxes
- Retake INR 2000 + applicable taxes
- Reschedule: INR 1100 + applicable taxes
- Additional Score Reports (beyond first five): INR 200 per Score Report + applicable taxes
Payment forms accepted:
- American Express
- Debit Card
- Net Banking
- Diners Club
- Mobile Wallets
NMAT Exam Pattern
NMAT is a completely computer administered test. You will get 2 hours to attempt a total of 120 questions. The MCQ format or multiple question format is followed here and the based questions will be asked in the NMAT exam from 3 sections.
- Language Skills 32 marks 22 minutes
- Quantitative Skills 48 marks 60 minutes
- Logical Reasoning 40 marks 38 minutes
NMAT – Test Centre Change
There are times when candidates can request for change in their allotted test center. For doing the same, you have to visit the official website
. An additional fee will be charged here that is to be paid via credit card only. A confirmation e-mail is then sent out to the candidates from Pearson VUE. On receiving the same, venue change is confirmed.
NMAT Admit Card
Candidates can download their NMAT by GMAC Admit Cards online from the official website. This is done after the payment of registration fees. It is vital to carry the admit card to the test center along with the other needed document, which you clicked on during the application process. Along with the NMAT Admit Card, one has to carry-
- Confirmation e-mail printout
- Photocopy of candidates Primary ID for submission at the Test center
- Copy of Xth class certificate due to difference in name between Xth class certificate and Test taker ID
- Any other document suggested by GMAC for differently-abled candidates
- One valid primary ID and another secondary ID
Failure to produce the need ID can result in candidates being denied entry into the exam room. No test fee refund will be offered in such cases. Before entering the room, the invigilator has to sign the admit card, post seeing the documents. The company seal is put on the card too.
The below mentioned IDs will not be acceptable –
- Photocopies (attested or otherwise)
- Notarized copies
- Learner’s driving license
The NMAT result usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks after the test. The official site publishes the sectional scores and the total NMAT score. Percentile scores will be announced by third week of January. All results are announced online and one can check the same from the valid site.
Management Institutes accepting NMAT Score
- SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad
- Thapar School of Management, Chandigarh
- SRM University, Chennai, Delhi NCR Sonipat
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
- University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun
- Woxsen School of Business Management, Hyderabad
- BML Munjal University, Delhi
- VIT University, Vellore
- ITM Business School, Navi Mumbai
- Modi University, Rajasthan
- Xavier University, Bhubaneswar
- MISB Bocconi, Mumbai
- ICFAI Business School (IBS), Hyderabad and other locations
- Alliance University, Bangalore
- BSE Institute Limited
- Amity University, Delhi NCR
- GITAM School of International Business, Visakhapatnam
- Hyderabad Business School, GITAM University, Hyderabad