Joint Entrance Screening Test - JEST 2019
The Joint Entrance Screening Test commonly known as JEST 2019 is conducted by the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) for admission to various M.Sc, Ph.D, and Integrated / M.Sc / M.Tech. - Ph.D programs. JEST score is valid for one year.
Candidates who wish to pursue a Ph.D / Integrated Ph.D Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology in any one of the Participating Institutes are required to appear for the Joint Entrance Screening Test 2019 (JEST) at the Exam Centers of their choice.
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their M.Sc. in Physics from a recognized university. (for all participating Institutes).
- Additionally, some institutes may accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. invarious disciplines of Mathematics and Applied Physics, as listed below -
Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be considered at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B.Tech Eng. Phys.will be considered at TIFR.
- M.E./M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Neuroscience at NBRC
- Candidates should have successfully completed their M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. in Computer Science and related disciplines from a recognized university. They should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Computational Biology at IMSc
- Candidates should have successfully completed their M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science from a recognized university.
- Candidates should have successfully completed their M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech - Ph.D Programme (Physics)
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) for admission in SNBNCBS.
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B. Sc. (Physics) for admission in SNBNCBS in IMSc.
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics for admission in IIA.
- Candidates are required to successfully complete theirB.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum of first class marks, for admission at NISER.
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B.Sc. (Physics) for admission at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. for Integrated M.Sc - PhD program at Bose Institute.
Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Integrated M.Tech - Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics.
Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any discipline.
M. Sc. Programme at HRI
- Candidates are required to successfully complete their B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech. degree in any discipline
P.S.: The Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI has been discontinued from 2017.
JEST 2019 Exam Dates
- Last date for submitting online applications and payments is extended upto December 24, 2018.
- JEST 2019 will be held on Sunday, February 17, 2019.
- Admit card will be available in the JEST webpage after 20th of January, 2019.
JEST 2019 Application Process
- Candidates are required to apply online by visiting the official website www.jest.org
- They should upload their latest passport size photograph and signature as per the prescribed specifications. The size of the individual files for photo and signature should not exceed 100 KB each.
JEST 2019 Application Fees
The application process is finally complete with the payment of the application fees.
- General Category: Rs. 300
- SC/ST and Women Candidates: Rs. 150
N.B.: The payment of the application fees can be made only through online mode using Debit/Credit Cards/Net-banking.
JEST 2019 Participating InstitutesFind below the list of participating institutes in JEST 2019
- ARIES - Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital
- Bose Institute - Bose Institute, Kolkata
- HRI - Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
- ICTS - International centre for theoretical sciences, Bangalore
- IGCAR-Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam
- IIA- Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
- IISc- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- IISER BHOPAL - Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal
- IISER KOLKATA-Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata
- IISER MOHALI - Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
- IISER PUNE - Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM - Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
- IIST - Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- IMSc - The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- IOP- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
- IPR - Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- IUCAA - Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
- JNCASR - Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
- NBRC -National Brain Research Centre, Manesar:Molecular, Computaional and Systems Neuroscience.
- NCRA-TIFR - National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune
- NISER- National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
- PRL - Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- RRCAT - Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
- HBNI - Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- RRI - Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- SINP - Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata
- SNBNCBS - SatyendraNath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata
- TIFR-TCIS - TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad
- TIFR - Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- UGC-DAE CSR - UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore
- VECC - Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata
JEST 2019 Exam Centers
JEST 2019 will be held at the locations listed below
- Mangalore (Centre is subject availability. Second option will be allotted if centre is not available)
JEST 2019 Contact DetailsEmail: