Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts
Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts, New Delhi (IGNCA) is a government-funded, autonomous institution arts under the Union Ministry of Culture established in the memory of Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, with Kapila Vatsyayan as its founding director.
Aims and Objectives of IGNCA
- To serve as a major resource centre for the arts, especially written, oral and visual source materials
- To undertake research and publication programmes of reference works, glossaries, dictionaries and encyclopaedia concerning the arts and the humanities
- To establish a tribal and folk arts division with a core collection for conducting systematic scientific studies and for live presentations.
- To provide a forum for a creative and critical dialogue through performances, exhibitions, multi-media projections, conferences, seminars and workshops between and amongst the diverse arts, traditional and cotemporary
- To foster dialogue between arts and current ideas in philosophy, science and technology, with a view toward bridging the gap in intellectual understanding between modern sciences and arts and culture
- To evolve models of research programmes and arts administration more portinent to the Indian ethos
- To elucidate the formative and dynamic factors in the complex web of interactions between diverse social strata, communities and regions
- To promote an network with national and international institutions; and
- To conduct related research in the arts, humanities and culture.
Divisions of IGNCA
– devoted mainly to the study and publication of fundamental texts in Indian languages.
the executive unit which transforms research and studies emanating from the IGNCA into visible forms through exhibitions.Cultural Informatics
– which applies technology tools for cultural preservation and propagation.
– the administrative section that acts as a spine supporting and coordinating all the activities.
– Media Centre has been endeavouring to do audio/visual research documentation and archiving them for prosperity and implementing worldwide dissemination as well.
Following are the list of IGNCA Centers, all around India:
- Varanasi Regional Centre
- Bengaluru Regional Centre
- Guwahati Regional Centre
- Ranchi Regional Centre
- Srinagar Regional Centre
- Goa Regional Centre
- Vadodara Regional Centre
- Puducherry Regional Centre
- Thiruvananthapuram Regional Centre
11, Mansingh Road, Near Andhra Bhavan, New Delhi, Delhi 110011
Phone: 011 2338 8105