- Indian Education System
- Nep 2020
National Education Policy (NEP) 2020
The National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 will require learners to go through different stages of learning in a completely new ways. Here is in brief how NEP 2020 will work.
- The NEP 2020 promises that all elementary stages learners shall achieve Foundational Literacy and Numeracy by standard 3.
- The NEP 2020 shall provide flexibility in learning so that students can design own coursework and select their own career path.
- All study streams including arts, science, and commerce, curricular and extra-curricular activities, vocational or academic shall be treated as equivalent.
- The National Educational Policy 2020 shall focus on multidisciplinary and a holistic education across all streams.
- Focus will be given on understanding of course rather than memory based learning. So that students may develop critical thinking and decision making abilities.
- Skills like communication, cooperation, and teamwork shall be on focus.
- Research shall be on focus; students shall be able to start research based studies starting from college.
Education Stages under NEP 2020
Under New Education Policy 2020 education system will be based on 5+3+3+4 structure. Educational stages will be as follows:
- Foundational: This level has two stages; at first 3 years of education will be provided to children in the age group of 3 to 6. Education will be delivered by Pre-Schools/Preparatory schools. After this stage children will move for next stage to study in Grade 1 and Grade 2. Children in the age group of 6 to 8 will be part of this group.
- Preparatory: Children in the age group of 8 to 11 will be enrolled in Preparatory School Education to study for Grade 3 to 5.
- Middle: Children in the age group of 11 to 14 will be enrolled in Middle School Education to study for Grade 6 to 8.
- Secondary: The duration of secondary education will be 4 years. There will be two stages; first stage will comprise of Grade 9 and Grade 10. Students who will successfully complete Grade 10 can chose from academic or vocational streams to study at second and final stage of secondary education. The duration will be 2 years; i.e. Grade 11 and Grade 12. Secondary school certificate will open doors to higher education.
Higher Education under NEP 2020
The Universities and Institutes of Higher Education will be given more autonomy. They may design own master’s program. The duration of master’s degree program may be two years while second year may be based on research. However, duration of master’s program will be 1 year for students who have completed 4 years of bachelor’s degree program. At bachelor’s level studies there will be alternative option of 5 years of Integrated Bachelor’s/Master’s programme. To entry into research work leading to award of Ph.D minimum educational qualification may be a Master’s degree or 4 years of Bachelor’s degree.