Indian Plywood Industries Training and Research Institute
Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute or IPIRTI is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Environment & Forest Govt. of India. The Institute, which was started as a co-operative Research Association of the Plywood Industry and the CSIR in 1962, has evolved into a dynamic and creative organization dedicated in developing new environment friendly technologies for wood based industry.
Objectives of Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute
- To undertake research to enlarge service life of wood and wood products, optimize wood volume in end use and reduce wastage in conversion as well as in application; the focus of research efforts is on reduction of pressure on natural forests.
- To advice on standardization of wood and wood products.
- To impart training to improve skills, upgrade product quality and optimize production cost
- To advice industry and govt. agency’s on policy issues relating to development of mechanical wood industry
History of Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute
1962: Indian Plywood Manufacturers’ Research Association (IPMRA) was formed as a co-operative research laboratory under the umbrella of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) for undertaking applied research on PLYWOOD, an important wood based panel material.
1970: Re-designated as Indian Plywood Industries Research Institute (IPIRI)
1988: Introduction of training facilities in Mechanical Wood Industries Technology with the assistance of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)/United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)/Government of India.
1990: Administrative control was transferred to the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India.
1992: As a reflection to its premier position in training for Mechanical Wood Industries Technology as a centre of excellence, the name of the Institute was changed to Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute (IPIRTI).
Vision of Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute
IPIRTI's vision is to become an apex institution of international repute with the help of state-of-the art technology and carrying out necessary R & D. It aims to conserve the natural forests through development and adoption of efficient technologies in the field of wood and panel products from renewable fibres including plantation timbers and bamboo while meeting the vital needs of the developing society.
Courses in Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute
IPIRTI is also a nodal centre for pursuing research leading to award of PhD by FRI University.
The Institute conducts one year Post Graduate Diploma course in Wood and Panel Products Technology for young science and engineering graduates who are selected on all India merit basis.
Short Term Courses
IPIRTI undertakes and organizes training programmes in different disciplines for different target groups ranging from the level of technicians to managers on sponsorship basis and also for national and international students. Some of the courses include:
- Plywood Manufacturing Technology-I (Veneer processing, log storage, centering, peeling, clipping, drying and knife grinding)
- Plywood Manufacturing Technology-II (Economic adhesive, resin manufacture, gluing, hot pressing)
- Veneer peeling techniques
- Peeling and knife grinding
- Knife grinding practices for peeler and slicer knives
- Flitching of logs, veneer slicing, matching and knife grinding
- Flitching of logs and veneer slicing
- Resin manufacturing, pre-pressing and hot pressing
- Block board and Flush Door Manufacturing
- Production management in plywood industry
- Trouble shooting in plywood manufacture
- Good practices in carpentry & wood finishing techniques
- Maintenance of Band saws and TCT saws
- Bamboo primary processing
- Bamboo primary processing and Mat making
- Preservative treatment for Bamboo
Training for IFS Officers
Having realized the importance of utilization of forestry wealth and their end use applications the ministry of environment and forests, felt the need of training programme for IFS officers at IPIRTI.
Research in IPIRTI
Forests play a very significant role for the welfare of not only the present generation but also of the future generations. They are essential component of the environmental conservation efforts and degradation of forests has adverse impact on bio-diversity, water/soil resources, climate, as also on the subsistence living of people living in and around or in close proximity of forests.
Many benefits of the forests are not accounted for due to their being non-market, external benefits, or traditional uses taken for granted.
The National Forestry Action Programme - India, a twenty year comprehensive plan for development of forests, has envisaged five main action areas, namely
- Protection of existing Forests,
- Improvement of forest Productivity,
- Reduction of Total Demand,
- Strengthening Policy & Institutional Framework, and
- Expansion of Forest Area.
Testing in IPIRTI
CENTEC, Center for Testing and Evaluation of Composites, under the aegis of Indian Plywood Industries Research and Training Institute (IPIRTI) is a specialized laboratory recognized by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) under the Certification Scheme.
The Center has full fledged mechanical, biological and chemical laboratories for testing of the following as per relevant National/International Standards.
- Wood/wood-based/agro-based panel products.
- Synthetic resin adhesives used in panels.
- Raw material analysis of chemicals used in resins.
- Identification/classification of timbers/binders used in panels.
- Retention of preservative chemicals in treated wood/plywood.
- Emission of formaldehyde in panels.
- Fungal/borer/termite resistance of wood/wood-based products.
Indian Plywood Industries Research & Training Institute
(Autonomous body of Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Govt.of India)
Post Bag No.2273, HMT Link Road OFF Tumkur Road,
Yeshwanthpur, Bengaluru - 560022
Phone Director: 91-80-28394341, 30534002; Fax: 91-80-28396361
Phone General: 91-80-28394231/32/33, 30534000-99, Fax: 91-80-30534008,