- Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
The Kendriya Vidyalayas, one of world's largest chain of schools in the world are a system of central government schools in India that were instituted under the aegis of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). It comprises over 1,094 schools in India and three abroad.
History of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sanghatan
The system which came into being in 1963 was known as 'Central Schools' and later, the name was changed to Kendriya Vidyalaya. The main objective is to educate children of the Indian Defence Services personnel who are often posted to remote locations. The service gradually extended to all central government employees.
Objectives of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sanghatan
- To cater to the educational needs of the children of transferable Central Government employees including Defence and Para-Military personnel by providing a common programme of education;
- To pursue excellence and set pace in the field of school education;
- To initiate and promote experimentation and innovativeness in education in collaboration with other bodies like the Central Board of Secondary Education and National Council of Educational Research and Training etc.
- To develop the spirit of national integration and create a sense of "Indianness" among children. Memorandum Of Association (Hindi version)
- To Provide, establish, endow, maintain, control & manage schools, hereinafter called the 'Kendriya Vidyalaya' for the children of transaferable employees of the Government of India, floating populations & others including those living in remote & undeveloped locations of the country & to do all acts & things necessary for the conducive to the promotions of such schools.
Features of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
- Common text-books and bilingual medium of instructions for all Kendriya Vidyalayas.
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education
- All Kendriya Vidyalayas are co-educational, composite schools.
- Sanskrit is taught from class VI - VIII.
- The quality of teaching is kept reasonably high by an appropriate teacher-pupil ratio.
- No tuition fee for boys upto Class VIII, girls upto Class XII and SC/ST students and children of KVS employees.
Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan,
18, Institutional Area,
Shaheed Jeet Singh Marg,
New Delhi - 110 016