National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research
National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research (NCPOR) is India’s premier R&D institution responsible for the country’s research activities in the Polar and Southern Ocean realms.
The mandate of NCPOR is multi-dimensional:
- Leadership role in niche areas of scientific research in the domain of polar and ocean sciences.
- Lead role in the geoscientific surveys of the country’s EEZ and its extended continental shelf beyond 200M, deep-sea drilling in the Arabian Sea basin through the IODP, exploration for ocean non-living resources such as the gas hydrates and multi-metal sulphides in mid-ocean ridges.
- Facilitatory role in the scientific research activities being undertaken by several national institutions and organizations in Antarctica, the Arctic and in the Indian Ocean sector of the Southern Ocean.
- Management role in implementing all scientific and logistics activities related to the Annual Indian Expeditions to the Antarctic, Arctic and Southern Ocean.
- Management and upkeep of the Indian Antarctic Research Bases “Maitri” and “Bharati”, and the Indian Arctic base “Himadri”
- Management of the Ministry’s research vessel ORV Sagar Kanya as well as the other research vessels chartered by the Ministry
Areas Covered under NCPOR
- Polar and Ocean Sciences
- Geoscientific surveys
- Extended continental shelf
- Deep sea drilling in the Arabian Sea
- Gas hydrate
- Multi-metal sulphide
- Annual Scientfic Expeditions
- ORV Sagar Kanya
Studentship and Research in NCPOR
NCPOR provides training / dissertation opportunity to graduate and post graduate students for the period of three to six months (summer and winter session) in the field of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences.
Guidelines for Students
- The online application form is needed to submitted along with their CV and recommendation letter from Head of Department of the University / College / Institution.
- Student may indicate, in the form, if he / she wishes to work on a specific topic or with Scientist at NCAOR.
- The shortlisted students name along with the guide will be uploaded on NCAOR website within a month of from the closing date.
- Shortlisted student(s) should provide their willingness to join NCAOR via e-mail within 15 days from the date of declaration of results to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com. Failing to provide the confirmation, the application will be cancelled and the students in the wait list will be given the opportunity to join.
- While joining for the internship at NCAOR, it is mandatory to bring all original documents supporting the claims made in the application form and a copy of the supporting documents to be submitted at Administrative Section.
- It is compulsory for each student, to submit a copy of his / her project work carried out at NCAOR in the form of project report.
- Internship students (summer / winter session) shall not be entitled for scholarship, medical facility and accommodation facility at NCAOR.
For further queries, please mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Dates for Internship
Opening Date for Online Application form: 15th Jan
Closing Date for Online Application form : 28th Feb
Result of Selected Candidates: Click here to view
Opening Date for Online Application form: 15th September
Closing Date for Online Application form : 31st October
Result of Selected Candidates: Mid of November
National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research
Vasco-da-Gama, Goa 403804 (INDIA)
Fax: 91-832-2520877; 2525520