- Ugc Jrf Srf
UGC Junior Research Fellowship
The Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) scheme of the University Grants Commission (UGC) or UGC JRF is one of the most important financial schemes started by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for students who wish to pursue a career in research and doctoral programs. However,simply qualifying these tests do not bestow a fellowship upon the candidate.
The objective of the JRF scheme is to provide opportunities to NET-JRF qualified candidates to undertake advanced studies and research leading to M.Phil/Ph.D. Degrees in Humanities and Social Sciences including Languages and Sciences.
Joining in Fellowship & Registration in Ph.D.
- The candidate must join the fellowship within 6 months from date of issue of the award letter.
- For the candidates already registered/admitted in Ph.D./M.Phil., the fellowship shall commence from the declaration of UGC NET-JRF/CSIR-UGC-NET-JRF result, whichever is applicable.
- For the candidates who are not yet registered/admitted in Ph.D./M.Phil., the fellowship shall commence from the date of joining as a research fellow in M.Phil/Ph.D programme
- The tenure of the fellowship is of five years from date of commencement of fellowship.
- In case of integrated Ph.D. or M.Phil. to Ph.D., the maximum tenure is 5 years including M.Phil period of fellowship.
- Registration for Ph.D. is mandatory within 2 years from the date of joining as a research fellow. If candidate has not registered himself/herself within 2 years from date of joining, then fellowship will be discontinued upto his registration for Ph.D.
- In the cases where the fellowship has been discontinued as per clause
- Candidates who have qualified in NET-JRF or the UGC-CSIR joint test.
- The registration for the M.Phil/PhD is made by the Universities/Institutions/Colleges within stipulated period of two years from the date of declaration of result or date of issue of award letter/date of joining the fellowship.
Tenure of the Fellowship
The tenure of fellowship is initially for two years under the JRF scheme. After two years, the work of the Fellow will be evaluated by experts. If the research work is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended for a further period of three years under the enhanced emoluments of the Senior Research Fellowship (SRF).
Rate of Fellowship
The rate of fellowship for JRF and SRF will be at par with the UGC Fellowship as amended from time to time.
Rs. 16,000/- per month for initial two years (JRF.)
Rs.18,000/- per month for remaining tenure (SRF)
Contingency for Humanities and Social Sciences:
Rs. 10,000/- per annum for initial two years
Rs. 20,500/- per annum for remaining three years
Contingency for Science:
Rs. 12,000/- per annum for initial two years
Rs. 25,000/- per annum for remaining three years
Rs. 2,000/- per month in case of physically and visually challenged candidates.
HRA As per University/Institute rule
Procedure for release of grants by the UGC
Joining:- On receipt of the Joining Report in the prescribed proforma and eligibility certificate from the university/institution, the UGC office will accept the candidature of the Fellow and will release the first installment of admissible grants to the individual JRFs as per norms.
Continuation Certificate:- At the end of every three months a 'Continuation Certificate' in the prescribed proforma is provided. This will make the fellow eligible to draw the fellowship for the next three months.
Note: The last 2 installments will be released only after submission of the feedback and Research work in the Repository.
The fellowship is liable to cancellation in case of:
- Registration not within two years from date of joining.
- Unsatisfactory progress of research work/failure in any examination related to M.Phil/Ph.D. or,
- He/She is found ineligible later.
- Any false information furnished by the applicant or any fraudulent activity by the Scholar/Fellow/Research Awardees shall lead to Penal action against him/her.