- Career Options
- Architecture and Engineering
- Health and Safety Engineers
Health and Safety Engineers
In this age of technology and scientific advancement, health and safety engineering has become one of the most rewarding and sought after career option. Safety engineering is concerned with preventing accidents and lessening opportunities for human error in engineered environments or in engineering design and it can be applied to most every discipline.
The health engineers applies the know-how of health, safety and system engineering to ensure that software, machinery, chemicals, furniture etc. would not harm to people in and within the surroundings.
Role of a Health and Safety EngineerA health and safety engineer performs the following activities –
- Check specifications of new machine to make sure it would not harm the people using it.
- Check machines, facilities and other safety equipments to fix if these adhere to safety norms.
- Analyzes the industrial control mechanisms.
- Make sure that a product or building adheres to safety norms.
- Install and direct the installation process of safety devices.
- Analyzes the workers safety programs and suggests for necessary improvements.
- Applies knowledge of safety policies, regulations and industrial processes in a system.
Skills Required for Health and Safety EngineerAcademic Qualifications
Bachelors degree holder in electrical, chemical, mechanical, industrial and related disciplines are employed as health and safety engineers in industry. Universities in different locations offer these programs in plenty. Students interested in health and safety engineering career need to study mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology at K-12 / High School standard. Those interested in graduate qualification in health and safety engineering must require to posses bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
Personal Skills Required to be Health and Safety Engineer
- Safety Engineers should be curious, logical, and detail-oriented.
- Good communication skills are always a plus as many projects require group input.
- One needs sound knowledge in mathematics and sciences which is ultimate to solve highly technical problems.
- One should be able to correlate the machines with men so as to ensure safety.
Health and Safety Engineering is interdisciplinary work area where one must should have knowledge in various engineering like mechanical, electrical, industrial as well as basic sciences like mathematics and physics. The work opportunities for health and safety engineers are available in plenty.
Scope of Health and Safety Engineers in India
Since workplace health and safety domain are becoming an integral part of many organisations, many companies have begun to hire health and safety engineers. There are different kinds of safety management jobs in India which include Chemical Safety, Construction Safety, Fire Safety, Oil & Gas Safety, Hazard Management, Electrical Safety, Environment Safety and Medical Safety.
In general health and safety is gaining importance. This is because of the governmental rules implemented for making safety strict in establishments. A safety officer is a highly respected person in his office. He works with dignity and is always in a management position.
Other Engineering Careers