- Career Options
- Architecture Engineering
- Materials Engineers
Materials Engineers work with various natural substances and artificial substances like ceramics, metals, composites, plastics and semiconductors etc. The job of a materials engineers employees is to develop new materials, create new processes and test materials used in the build of product, be it a war plane or a cricket ball. They also generate new ideas to use materials and build new products. To become a materials engineer minimum requirement is college level qualification in materials science, materials engineering or a related discipline. Study programs in materials engineering is offered through different universities across the globe.
Role of a Materials Engineer
Materials Engineers perform following activities in the industry-
- Evaluates materials performance and materials decay process
- Finds out reasons behind a product failure and comes up with new solutions
- Looks after the work of fellow engineer, scientists and technicians
- Evaluate cost factors in developing products of materials; this includes labor costs, materials costs, taxes, and machinery costs etc.
- Execute new projects to build and deploy objects for sell.
Skill Required for Materials EngineerAcademic Requirement:
Minimum a bachelor’s degree is required to start career as Materials engineer. One can chose to this field after completion of 12 years of school education with physics, chemistry and mathematics. Generally, the course duration is 4 years. At the end of program degree in Materials engineering BE/B.Tech/BS is awarded. Further candidates can go for higher studies like MS or start working with government / private organizations. To be successful as Materials engineer one must need to posses communication abilities, critical thinking, problem solving skills and analytical skills.
Personal Skills Required to be Materials Engineer
- Materials Engineer should be able to apply the theoretical sciences i.e., physics, chemistry and mathematics with real life problems.
- Materials Engineer work in highly sophisticated laboratory environment, where massive patience, determination and high level of problem solving skills are compulsory.
- Material engineer require to investigate minute details of materials so as to apply engineering knowledge to develop new products and improve the existing ones.
- Active Listener - Should be a good listener and must give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made and asking questions as appropriate.
- Critical Thinker - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
To study engineering one needs sound knowledge in mathematics and sciences which is ultimate to solve highly technical problems. In the field of Materials engineering you must need to be able to correlate the materials sciences with real world to solve problems in highly complex environment of Materials engineering. Being materials engineer one must be able to apply knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and computers etc altogether to find solution of a problem during course work as well as in industry.
Scope of Materials Engineer in India
Students who have completed their B.Tech in Metallurgical Engineering can either opt for job or they can go for further studies. Students can enroll themselves for ME or M.Tech degree in Metallurgical Engineering. In India they can work as Metallurgist, Welding Engineer Plant Equipment Engineer, Ballistics Engineer, and Quality Planning Engineer. Advancement in lightweight aircraft, smart clothing fibers, increased fuel efficiency are all due to developments in materials sciences and contributions of materials engineers. Some of companies hiring materials engineer are Larsons Group, New Bharat Refractories Ltd, The Metal Powder Company Ltd, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, NALCO, Utkal Mineral, Tata Steel, HCL, Jindal Steel, and Steel Authority of India (SAIL).
Other Engineering Careers