- Entrance Exams
- Performing Arts
- Nsd Entrance Test
NSD Entrance Test: National School of Drama Admission
The National School of Drama (NSD) New Delhi conducts entrance test for admission to three year diploma (full time-residential) courses in Dramatic Arts. The course aims at training students to become trained
professionals in the area of direction, design, acting and various other theater and entertainment. The NSD Entrance Test is on schedule now. Here are important details.
Medium of instruction: English/ Hindi
The NSD academic session for 3 year diploma course in dramatic arts shall starts from August.
NSD Entrance Test Eligibility CriteriaEducational Qualification
- Candidates should have successfully completed their graduation in any discipline from a recognized University in India or Abroad.
- Candidates should have participated in at least 6 theater productions.
- Candidates working knowledge should be English/Hindi.
- Candidates should have 3 recommendations from theater experts.
- They should possess a documentary proof of the theater experience.
The age of the candidate should be between 18-30 years as on 1st July. However, there is a relaxation of 5 years for candidates belonging to SC / ST as per Govt. of India norms.
Reservation of Seats for SC/ST/OBC (Non Creamy Layer)/ PwD
There is a reservation of 4 seats for SC, 2 Seats for ST, 7 for OBC (Non Creamy Layer) and PwD as per Govt. of India rules.
NSD Entrance Test Selection Process
The selection for the three year diploma (full time-residential) courses in Dramatic Arts in NSD are done in two phase process.
- First, the candidate are required to appear for a preliminary examination
- Second, the selected candidates need to appear for a final examination workshop.
An NSD Expert Committee will be constituted for assessing the talent and aptitude of the candidates & their decision will be final. Any kind of Canvassing in this regard will result in disqualification of the candidate.
The school reserves all the rights to shortlist the number of candidates for preliminary/ audition test on the basis of the experience of the candidates in theater arts.
The final selection of candidates are subject to the clearance of fitness test. The students selected for admission are required to undergo a final medical test for physical fitness at NSD Delhi.
NSD Entrance Test Pattern
The questions paper will comprise of topics like Acting Skills and Aptitude.
- Exam Mode: offline
- Language: Hindi or English. Candidates have to choose any one language to write the exam.
NSD Entrance Test Important Dates and Centers for Preliminary Test/Audition and Final Workshop
- Start Date for submission of NSD Entrance Test application form: March
- Last Date for submission of NSD Entrance Test application form: April
A preliminary test/audition for NSD will be conducted at following centers generally in May/June:
The guide lines and Study Material for preliminary test/ audition will be available in the prospectus both in the website and also in hard copies. Candidates after qualifying the test will need to attend a workshop of 5 days in the NSD premises, New Delhi.P.S.:
The candidates will be provided with Daily Allowance and a 3 tier Sleeper class train / bus fare from the place of their residence to Delhi & back by the shortest route, for their final selection. However, the same will be provided only the submission of cash receipt/ticket. They will also be provided with the accommodation on a modest sharing basis.
Financial Assistance to Three Year Diploma Course in Dramatic Arts
The selected candidates will be given a monthly scholarship of Rs. 8000/- per month to meet their various academic and other related expenses.
NSD Entrance Test Application Process
Applicant can choose any of the options listed below:
Application form can only be filled and submitted online on the link available on NSD website http://www.onlineadmission.nsd.gov.in
from mid March. The necessary documents may also be submitted online, Fee Rs 50/- is to be paid for filling form online. Last date to fill up online form is mid April.
Option 2: To receive the application form and prospectus (in English & Hindi) by post, please write to The Dean, Academic, National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi – 110001 along with a crossed Demand Draft/Pay Order, payable at Delhi, of Rs. 225/- (Rupees two hundred twenty five only) including postal charges in favour of The Director, National School of Drama, New Delhi. Request for receiving the application form by post must reach the school by the specified date which normally is end of March.
Offline application forms duly filled in & complete in all respects must reach To Dean Academic, National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi – 110001 on or before the last date is over. No application form will be entertained after the last date in any circumstances.
Admission of Foreign Nationals to NSD New Delhi Three Year Diploma Course in Dramatic Arts
NSD Entrance Test Preparation Tips
- Firstly, try and gather all possible details required for NSD Entrance Test.
- To avail a seat in NSD, one should work in various abilities like acting, knowledge about theatre, dancing, singing, etc.
- Make a proper time-table and divide your time equally for all the activities.
- Do not forget to work on your fitness, do regular meditation, yoga, exercise, etc.
- Work hard and gather a good amount of knowledge & experience about theatre and acting.
- Also do not neglect to work on your other talents like playing a musical instrument, knowing its type, etc.
- Do not take too much stress and be confident about your preparations.
NSD Admission Test Syllabus
The NSD admission test will comprise of questions to check the acting skills and aptitude of the candidate.Some important topics for NSD entrance test are listed below:
For latest updates about NSD, New Delhi Entrance Examination visit EducationNews.Shiksha
- Origin and Development of Folk Theatre
- Relationship between Rituals and Folk Theatre
- Famous Theatre Persons in India
- History of NSD Famous Persons Studied Thereform
- Folk Forms and Technology
- Origin and Development of Ancient Indian Theatre
- Indus Valley Civilization Art
- Importance of Street Plays
- Method of Acting
- Origin and Development of Sanskrit Theatre
- Names and History of Sanskrit Play Writers
- Overview of Amateur Theatre
- Karnataka Folk Theatre Forms
- Western Theatre
- Influence of Western Culture in Indian Drama
NSD Entrance Test FAQsQuestion: How can I avail the NSD Application Form?Answer:
One can avail the application form in three ways –
Question: What is the age limit to apply for NSD Admission?Answer:
- Online from the official website
- via post.
- In – person from the National School of Drama
The minimum age of the candidate should be less than 18 years and the maximum should not be above 30 years as on 1st July.Question: I have completed my graduation in Commerce stream, am I eligible for admission in NSD?Answer:
Yes, of course you are eligible.Question: How can I pay the application fee?Answer:
Depending upon the mode of application you chose you can pay application fee either online or through a demand draft.Question: Is it necessary to send the application form to the authority?Answer:
Yes, you can either submit the application form online or have to send it to the authority address.