International Baccalaureate (IB)
Founded in 1968, the International Baccalaureate (IB), formerly known as the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), is an international educational foundation with its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. It offers four educational programmes: the IB Diploma Programme and the IB Career-related Programme for students aged 16 to 19, the IB Middle Years Programme, designed for students aged 11 to 16, and the IB Primary Years Programme for children aged 3 to 12. To teach these programmes, schools need to be authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization.
Programmes of IB
Primary Years Programme (PYP)
The PYP prepares students (3-12 years) to become active, caring, lifelong learners demonstrating respect for themselves and others and have the capacity to participate in the world around them. It focuses on the development of the whole child.
Middle Years Programme (MYP)
This programme designed for 11 to 16 year olds encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world. The MYP is inclusive by design and students of all interests and academic abilities can benefit from their participation.
Diploma Programme (DP)
The programme aims to develop students of 16-19 years who have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge – students who flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
The CP is a framework of international education addressing the needs of students engaged in career-related education. It leads to further/higher education apprenticeships or employment.
IB in India
There has been an IB World School in India country since 1976. Currently 145 world schools offer one or more of four IB programmes in India. 227 universities recognise IB with official policies for admitting IB students to their courses.
Benefits of IB Programme
- be encouraged to think independently and drive their own learning
- take part in programmes of education that can lead them to some of the highest ranking universities around the world
- become more culturally aware, through the development of a second language
- be able to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
A IB World school provides:
- high quality programmes of education, which support development of knowledgeable and inquiring students
- professional development that supports effective educators and collaborative professional learning communities
- a worldwide network of highly respected IB World Schools, working together to share best practice.
IB Global Centre, Singapore
600 North Bridge Road,
#21-01 Parkview Square,
Republic of Singapore
Phone: +65 6 579 5000
Fax: +65 6 579 5003