National Institute of Disaster Management
In the backdrop of the International decade for Natural Disaster Reduction (IDNDR), a National Centre for Disaster Management was established in 1995 in the Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperation, the nodal ministry for disaster management in the country. The Centre was upgraded as the National Institute of Disaster management (NIDM) on 16th October 2003, following the transfer of the subject of disaster management to the Ministry of Home Affairs. The Institute was inaugurated by Hon'ble Union Home Minister on 11th August, 2004.
Under the Disaster Management Act 2005, NIDM has been assigned nodal responsibilities for human resource development, capacity building, training, research, documentation and policy advocacy in the field of disaster management.
The Institute works through strategic partnerships with various ministries and departments of the central, state and local governments, academic, research and technical organizations in India and abroad and other bi-lateral and multi-lateral international agencies.
Functions of National Institute of Disaster Management
- develop training modules, undertake research and documentation in disaster management and organise training programmes;
- formulate and implement a comprehensive human resource development plan covering all aspects of disaster management;
- provide assistance in national level policy formulation;
- provide required assistance to the training and research institutes for development of training and research programmes for stakeholders including Government functionaries and undertake training of faculty members of the State level training institutes;
- provide assistance to the State Governments and State training institutes in the formulation of State level policies, strategies, disaster management framework and any other assistance as may be required by the State Governments or State training institutes for capacity-building of stakeholders, Government including its functionaries, civil society members, corporate sector and people's elected representatives;
- develop educational materials for disaster management including academic and professional courses;
- promote awareness among stakeholders including college or school teachers and students, technical personnel and others associated with multi-hazard mitigation, preparedness and response measures;
- undertake, organise and facilitate study courses, conferences, lectures, seminars within and outside the country to promote the aforesaid objects;
- undertake and provide for publication of journals, research papers and books and establish and maintain libraries in furtherance of the aforesaid objects;
- do all such other lawful things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of the above objects; and
- undertake any other function as may be assigned to it by the Central Government.
- To be a premier Institute of Excellence for training and research on disaster risk mitigation and management in India and to be recognized as one of the leading Institutions at the International level in the field.
- To strive relentlessly towards making a disaster free India by developing and promoting a culture of prevention and preparedness at all levels.
- To work as a think tank for the Government by providing assistance in policy formulation and;
- To facilitate in reducing the impact of disasters through:
- Planning and promoting training and capacity building services including strategic learning.
- Research, documentation and development of national level information base.
- System development and expertise promotion for effective disaster preparedness and mitigation.
- Promoting awareness and enhancing knowledge and skills of all stakeholders.
- Strengthening institutional mechanisms for training and capacity building of all stakeholders.
- Networking and facilitating exchange of information, experience and expertise.
NIDM Training Calendar
The Annual Training Calendar of the Institute is prepared in consultation with Central Ministries, State Governments and other stakeholders during the Annual Training Conference in the month of February every year. The Training Conference further provides strategic guidelines for the development of the Training Calendars of the Disaster Management Centres of the States.
Module on Gender and Disaster Management
- School Safety
- TOT module for Senior level Journalists - Re-examining principles of disaster reporting
- TOT module for Entry level Journalists - Examining principles of disaster reporting
- TOT Module for Teachers - Creation of culture of safety through knowledge and education
- TOT Module - Preparation and implementation of hospital DM plan
- TOT Module - Mainstreaming DRR & CCA into city development plan
- TOT module - Strengthening PRIs for Mainstreaming DRR & CCA in Development
- TOT module - Integration of DR and CC Resilience in Rural Development policies and programs
National Institute of Disaster Management
(Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India),
A-wing, 4th floor, NDCC-II Building, Jai Singh Road, New Delhi - 110001
Website : www.nidm.gov.in