- Career Options
- Biological Biomedical Sciences
- Biochemists And Biophysicists
Biochemists and Biophysicists
You have an inclination towards research and genuinely want to contribute in improving the health of people and environment then you should check out Biochemists and Biophysicists as your career path. By choosing this as your career you could be part of booming Biotechnology industry which is one of the fastest growing employment sectors across the world.
Biochemists and Biophysicists conduct genetic research and develop new medicines and treatments used to fight genetic disorders and diseases such as cancer. Besides this they work in areas such as - alternative energy sources, genetically engineered food crops and efforts to discover new and improved ways to clean up and preserve the environment.
Role of Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Preparing reports and recommendations based on the outcomes of his or her research.
- Developing new methods to study the mechanisms of biological processes.
- Managing a laboratory team and assessing its performance.
- Writing research papers and making presentations at scientific conferences.
Bachelor's Degree is a must for a career in Biochemistry. In order to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, the student must have passed higher secondary education or 10 plus 2 with Biology and Math as subjects. For admission to a Master’s degree in Biochemistry, the student must have a bachelor’s from the relevant field from a recognized university/college. The duration of the masters is mostly two years. They can pursue specialisation in Molecular biology, Genetics, Energy and metabolism, Bioinformatics, Cell biology and signaling, Development and disease
Skills Required to be Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Critical Thinking: Use logic and analysis to identify the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches.
- Active Listening: Listen to what other people are saying and ask questions as appropriate.
- Writing: Communicate effectively with others in writing as indicated by the needs of the audience.
- Equipment Selection: Determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Time Management: Manage one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Learning: Work with new material or information to grasp its implications.
- Complex Problem Solving: Solving novel, ill-defined problems in complex, real-world settings.
- Coordination: Adjust actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension: Understand written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
Scope of Bio Chemistry in India
A biochemist and biophysicist can work both in public and private sectors. Medical Instrument companies, Biotechnology, Food and Drink industries, Research Companies and Laboratories, Educational Institutes, Environmental Pollution Control, Agriculture and fisheries, Forensic Science, Hospitals, Chemical manufacturing companies, Health and Beauty Care, etc. are always in constant need of biochemists.
There is also another field where there is always need for experts in the field of Biochemistry which is the quality control and safety section. Almost all companies in the field of food, pharmaceuticals, health and beauty care, etc required safety checks, regulations and quality control.
For the complete list of careers in Biomedical Sciences, below