- Entrance Exams
INAT 2019 - IUCAA NCRA Admission Test
The IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test (INAT-2019) is conducted for the selection of candidates for a research scholarship towards a Ph.D. in Astronomy and Astrophysics. The test is administered for admission to Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune and the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics - Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (NCRA-TIFR), Pune.
INAT 2019 Important Dates (Tentative)
- Last date for submission of online application forms: September, 2019
- Last date for online submission of Assessment Forms: September 2019
- INAT 2018 Admission Test Date: December 2019
- INAT 2018 Interview Dates: Mid December 2019
Note: The interviews are conducted for candidates qualified in the written test.
INAT 2019 Test Venue
Chandrasekhar Auditorium, IUCAA,
Pune University Campus, Ganeshkhind,
Pune 411007, Maharashtra
INAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates expecting to complete qualifying degree examination i.e. M.Sc., Integrated M.Sc., B.Sc., or B.E./B.Tech./M.E./M.Tech. degrees by July 2020.
- Minimum percentage of marks required in last qualifying degree examination shall be 55% or higher.
- Candidates in any branch of the B.E., B.Tech., M.E. or M.Tech. degrees, or in the
Physics, Electronics, Astronomy or Applied Mathematics branches of the
B.Sc. or M.Sc. degrees.
- Candidates who have already completed any of the above mentioned qualifying degree examination.
- Talented final-year B.Sc., 1st year M.Sc., 3rd/4th year Integrated M.Sc.
and 2nd/3rd year B.E./B.Tech. students may also apply to be
pre-selected for the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA.
- Students who complete their M.Sc./Integrated M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech. degrees by July 2020 will be eligible for selection to the Ph.D. programme of both IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR.
- Students who complete their B.E./B.Tech. degrees by July 2019 are eligible for selection to the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA and to the Integrated Ph.D. programme at NCRA-TIFR.
- Students who complete their B.Sc. degrees by July 2019 will be eligible for selection to the Integrated Ph.D. programme at NCRA-TIFR and for pre-selection to the Ph.D. programme at IUCAA.
INAT 2019 Application Process
The application process for IUCAA-NCRA Admission Test i.e. INAT 2019 is completely online. Candidates are required to submit an application form and an assessment form online.
- To submit an application form click here
- To submit an assessment form click here
In the assessment form, the candidates are also required to submit a referee report. A referee is an academic community member who provides an assessment of the candidate’s academic career. The best referees are typically the candidate’s teachers at their academic institution, a faculty members with whom you have discussed science issues or a supervisor on previous research projects.
No fellow students, friends, relatives or other family members are accepted as referees.
There is no application / examination fee charged from the candidates.
The application forms are evaluated and shortlisted by a screening committee comprising of IUCAA and NCRA faculty members.
The shortlisted students are informed by email.
- To fill up the application forms for walk-in candidates, click here
INAT 2019 Authority
Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics,
Pune University campus, Ganeshkhind, Pune 411 007, Maharashtra, INDIA.
Phone no.: 020-2560 4100.
INAT 2019 Selection Process
Candidates are invited for the written test on the basis of the application form and referee assessments submitted. Candidates who have scored a minimum of 55% marks in their qualifying examination can also walk-in for the written test with a valid photo id and a copy of their most recent marksheet. However, the final selection to the research scholarship is made on the basis of the results of the written test and two interviews.Note:
The selection through INAT is in addition to that of the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
INAT 2019 Exam Pattern
- INAT 2019 Test Duration: 2 Hours (120 Minutes)
- Question Paper will have 3 Parts; i.e. Part A, Part B and Part C
- Part A shall ask 17 Objective Type Questions on basic Mathematics, Physics and Electronics.
- Part B shall ask seventeen objective-type questions from advanced Physics, Mathematics and Electronics/Engineering.
- Each question in Part A and B carry four answer choices. Candidates require to find the correct choice and mark the answer.
- For each correct answer 3 marks will be awarded
- For each wrong answer -1 marks will be awarded.
- Part C shall ask 6 questions from both basic and advanced studies in the above subjects.
- Answer of questions in Part C will be integers of 3 digits.
- For each correct answer 3 marks will be awarded.
- These is no negative marking for wrong answers in Part C.Candidates qualified in the written test shall be called to appear for TWO INTERVIEWS.
INAT 2019 Travel and Stay Allowance
- The outstation candidates are paid one and one-third times for their bus or train (2nd class sleeper) fare from their place of residence to Pune and back by the shortest route.
- Halting allowance for each day of stay for the interviews will also be provided to the students
- Outstation walk-in candidates who are shortlisted for the interviews will also be provided with the bus or train fare.
- Note: Limited accommodation may be available on the IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR campuses at a nominal charge.
INAT 2019 FAQs
- Do I need to study astronomy as a course to apply for INAT?
The written test and interview will comprise of questions from basic physics up to the M.Sc. level. Hence, no prior knowledge of astronomy is required.
- I am a student with Engineering background; do I need to have knowledge about advanced topics such as special relativity, field theory or quantum mechanics?
Candidates are required to have basic physics understanding. Hence no advance physics knowledge is required.
- I will be completing my M.Sc. in Physics. Do I need to have complete knowledge of all the subjects covered in the M.Sc. syllabus, or can I just focus on the topics of my interest?
It is expected from the students to know about every subject covered in the M.Sc. equally well. However, one should have a good understanding of basic Physics.
- What is the duration of the interview and will there be more than one rounds of interview?
An interview typically last for 45 minutes. Each student will have to go through two such rounds of interviews.
- What is the main aim of the interview – is it to test the memory of the students or is it for assessing their problem-solving abilities?
The interviews aim at to assess the candidates understanding of Physics, and their ability to solve Physics problems. They are also aimed at testing the understanding of basic concepts, and not the ability to memorize formulae or laws.
- Will postal applications and referee reports be accepted?
No email or postal applications will be accepted. Candidates are only required to submit online referee reports and applications.
- Will an application form without referee report be considered for screening?
Yes, all application forms will be considered for screening (with or without referee reports). However, an application form with referee reports will be considered much stronger.
- Can an application form once submitted can be updated/modified?
Yes one can do that until the application deadline.
- My B.Sc exam dates clash with the INAT-2019 dates; can the INAT dates be shifted?
No, unfortunately that can’t be done. Such candidates are recommended to apply to IUCAA and NCRA-TIFR via the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST).
- I am a foreign student (studying either in India or outside India). Am I eligible for INAT-2019?
Yes, you are eligible.
- What should I enter in the percentage column as my college do not follow the percentage system?
Enter your grade in the "Grade" column and enter 100 x (your_grade/maximum_grade) in the percentage column. We will then only use the grade during the evaluation.
- I was not invited to take INAT-2018; can I still appear for INAT-2019 ? Will the fact that I was not short-listed affect my selection?
Yes you can still appear for the INAT 2019 written test as a walk-in candidate.