Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), formerly known as the Imperial Council of Agricultural Research is an autonomous organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India. ICAR was established on 16 July 1929 with its headquarters in New Delhi, as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 in pursuance of the report of the Royal Commission on Agriculture.
ICAR is the apex body for co-ordinating, guiding and managing research and education in agriculture including horticulture, fisheries and animal sciences in the entire country.
Role and Functions of ICAR
- The ICAR has played a pioneering role in ushering Green Revolution and subsequent developments in agriculture in India through its research and technology development.
- It is involved with agricultural education and research since its inception
- Spearheading activities for productivity enhancement and diversification of Indian agriculture.
- Committed to devote itself to the welfare of the farmers, industry and consumers at large.
Divisions and Units of ICAR
- Crop Science
- Horticultural Science
- Natural Resource Management
- Agricultural Engineering
- Animal Science
- Fisheries Science
- Agricultural Education
- Agricultural Extension
- Knowledge Management
- IP&TM and PME
- National Agricultural Science Fund (NASF)
Universities and Institutions under ICAR
Deemed Universities - 4
Institutions - 64
National Research Centres - 15
National Bureau - 6
Directorates/Project Directorates - 13
ICAR Entrance Examination
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) administers All India Entrance Examination for Agriculture (AIEEA). Test is designed for admission into under graduate and post graduate courses in Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Technology and allied disciplines. Here is latest information about All India Entrance Examination for Agriculture
ICAR Contact Details
Indian Council of Agricultural Research
Krishi Bhavan, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi-110001.