AYUSH: Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy
The Ministry of AYUSH was formed on 9th November 2014 for the optimal development and propagation of AYUSH systems of healthcare. AYUSH was earlier known as the Department of Indian System of Medicine and Homeopathy (ISM&H) which was created in March 1995. The ministry focused attention for development of Education and Research in Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.
Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences (B.N.Y.S.)
5½ years (4½ yr course 1 yr Internship) Degree course leading to Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Sciences (B.N.Y.S.) since 1989.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
5½ years (4½ year main course 1 year Internship) Degree course leading to Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS).
PG Degree Courses
The PG degree course is of three years duration leading to specialty in the concerned subject with the degree of MD (Ayurveda Vachaspati) / MS (Ayurveda Dhanwantari) after successfully completion of the course.
The MD/MS specialities available are:
- Stri Roga Evam Prasuti tantra
- Shalya Samanya
- Shalya Kshar Evum Anushastra Karma
- Shalakya (Netra Rog Vigyan)
- Shalakya (Karna- NasaKantha-Shirorog)
- Shalakya (Mukha & Danta Rog Vigyan)
- Kaumarbhritya (Bal Roga)
- Manovigyan evam Manas Roga
- Roga Nodan & Vikriti vigyan
- Agad Tantra evum Vyavahara Ayurveda
- Ayurveda Samhita
- Ayurveda Siddhanta
- Rachana Sharir
- Kriya Sharir
- Chhaya Evum Vikiran Vigyan
PG Diploma Courses
The PG diploma course is of two years duration leading to specialty in the concerned subject after successfully completion of the course. Post graduate Diploma courses are conducted in 16 specialities.
The specialties include:
- Diploma in Panchakarma
- Diploma in Kshar Karma
- Diploma in Ayurvedic Pharmaceutics – Ras Shastra & Bhaishajya Kalpana
- Diploma in Ayurvedic Cosmetology & skin disease
- Diploma in Ayurvedic Dietetics
- Diploma in Swasthavritta and Yoga
- Diploma in Prasuti & Striroga
- Diploma in Balroga
- Diploma in Dravyaguna (Pharmacognosy and Standardization)
- Diploma in Manasik Swasthya Vigyan
- Diploma in Netra Roga Vigyan
- Diploma in Rasayan and Vajikaran
- Diploma and Ayurvedic Sangyaharan
- Diploma in Chhaya evam Vikiran Vigyan
- Marma evam Asthi Chikitsa (Orthopaedics)
- Rog Nidan Vidhi (Diagnostic techniques)
AYUSH UG Admission
National Institutes in AYUSH subjects
- All India Institute of Ayurveda
- Institute of Post Graduate Teaching & Research in Ayurveda, Jamnagar (Gujarat)
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga
- National Institute of Ayurveda (NIA) Jaipur
- National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkata
- National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune
- National Institute of Siddha (NIS), Chennai
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore
- Rashtriya Ayurved Vidyapeeth, New Delhi
List of Colleges approved by Ministry of AYUSH
The colleges for providing Under Graduate and Postgraduate Courses in AYUSH related subjects are spread across India. The colleges are approved by Central Government of India. Find List of Colleges under Ministry of Ayush in the official website https://ayush.gov.in/
Terminology related AYUSH
"AYURVEDA" is made up of two words-Ayuh and Veda. Ayuh means life and Veda means knowledge or science and believes in the existence of soul before birth. Thus "AYURVEDA’ in totality means ‘Science of life’. It incorporates all aspects of life whether physical, psychological, spiritual or social.
Yoga is one of the oldest forms of science which originated in India. The great Yogis presented rational interpretation of their experiences of Yoga and brought about a practical and scientifically sound method within every one’s reach. With time, the science of Yoga and its techniques have been changed to suit modern sociological needs and lifestyles.
Homoeopathy is one of the most commonly practised medical treatment in India today. A rough study states that about 10% of the Indian population solely depend Homoeopathy for their Health care needs and is considered as the second most popular system of medicine in the country.
Naturopathy is a very old science with Indian Naturopathy movement started mainly in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bengal, Maharashtra and Gujarat. Naturopathy is an art and science of healthy living and a drugless system of healing based on well founded philosophy. It has its own concept of health and disease and also principle of treatment.
The Unani System of Medicine was introduced in India by the Arabs and Persians sometime around the eleventh century. Today, India is one of the leading countries in so for as the practice of Unani medicine is concerned. It has the largest number of Unani educational, research and health care institutions.
Siddha system is one of the oldest systems of medicine in India and is practised mostly in Tamil Nadu in India. The term Siddha means achievements and Siddhars were saintly persons who achieved results in medicine. The Siddha System is largely therapeutic in nature.
Having originated in Tibet, “Sowa-Rigpa” commonly known as Tibetan system of medicine is one of the oldest, living and well documented medical tradition of the world. It is also practiced in India, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia and Russia. Presently, after 10 plus 2 grade the students are selected on entrance test merit basis.
Ministry of AYUSH
AYUSH BHAWAN, B Block,
GPO Complex, INA, NEW DELHI - 110023
Official Website: https://ayush.gov.in/