- Career Options
- Primary School Teachers
Primary School Teachers in India
Teaching is a noble profession. Teachers impart knowledge to their students. Many of us nurture fond memories about our school teachers! They are responsible for whatever we’ve become today! A primary teacher in India is eligible to teach till the primary classes (Class 1-5).
Skills for Primary School Teachers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Good organisational and time-management skills
- Energy, enthusiasm, stamina
- Patience, dedication, resilience and self-discipline
- Initiative, leadership and supervisory skills
- Imagination and creativity
Role of Primary School Teachers
- Coordinating activities and resources within a specific area of the curriculum,
- Developing lesson plans
- Preparing activities and charts for the children
- Taking assessments on a regular basis
- Presenting lessons that cater for the needs of the whole ability range within the class
- Providing time to time feedback to the parents
Primary school subjects include English, Hindi, Social Science, Science, Maths as main subjects. Some other subjects which are taught at this level are Moral education, Computer Science, General Knowledge, Second languages such as French, German, Spanish and Sanskrit, Arts and Craft, Music and Dance.
A teacher to be able to teach primary classes should have a minimum eligibility qualification of graduation in any of the school teaching subjects. Additionally, he or she should have a Bed degree or should have completed PTT (Primary Teacher Training) These tests are conducted for the aspirants who wants to join primary schools (class 1 to 5) for teaching. This is a 2-year regular program for being a PRT teacher.
Scope of Primary School Teachers
All government and private schools require qualified and trained primary teachers.
Every state conducts its own TET exam at the primary and secondary levels of teaching. These tests are conducted by NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education) after passing D.Ed. Or B.Ed. One can clear this test within a period of 5 years from the time the test is first notified. For teaching to private schools, one must have experience and should pass their own tests and interview.
Click below for a complete list of education related careers in India