- Education Funding
- National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme
National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme
The National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme is offered by the Department of School Education and Literacy, Government of India for students of class 9 who have secured at least 55% marks or equivalent grade in class 8 examination. The main aim of the scholarship is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students belonging to
economically weaker sections to stop their drop out at class 8 and
encourage them to continue studies at the secondary stage.Benefits:
A total of 1 Lakh scholarships will be disbursed under
this scheme. The selected scholars will receive INR 12000 per annum
(INR 1000 per month).
National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme Important Dates
- Scholarship announcement date: July
- Scholarship closing date: October
- Last date for defective verification: October
- Last date for institute verification: October
National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme Eligibility Criteria
- Must be a student of class 9.
- Candidates must have secured at least 55% of marks or equivalent grade in class 8 examination (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST students).
- Candidates must havesecured at least 55% of marks or equivalent grade in class 7 examination to appear for the selection test for the award of scholarship (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST).
- Candidates must have an annual family income of less than INR 1.50 Lakhs from all sources.
The scholarship is applicable for class 9 students and their continuation/renewal in class 10 and 12 for study in State Government/Government-aided/Local body schools.
National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme Application Process
Step 1: Visit the homepage of the National Scholarship Portal https://scholarships.gov.in/ and click on 'New Registration'.
Step 2: Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking and 'Continue'.
Step 3: Select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant's name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
Step 4: Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
Step 5: Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the 'Register' button.
Step 6: The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
Step 7: Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
Step 8: An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.Note:
All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
National Means Cum Merit Scholarship Scheme Selection Process
The students will be selected on the basis of the selection test conducted by each state/UT namely,
- Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)
The students are required to pass both the tests with at least 40% marks in each (For reserved category, the cut off will be 32% marks). Note:
- The students studying in NVS, Sainik Schools, KVS and private schools cannot apply for this scholarship.
- The State Bank of India disburses the scholarship to students in their
accounts through PFMS (Public Finance Management System).
- Reservations are applicable as per state government norms.
- For renewal/continuation of the scholarship in class 10 and 12, the
awardees are required to get clear promotion from class 9 to 10 and from
class 11 to 12 in the first attempt with 55% marks (relaxable by 5% for
- For continuation of scholarship at the higher secondary
stage (class 10), the awardees must obtain a minimum of 60% marks in
class 10 (relaxable by 5% for SC/ST).
- The students of class 9
and 10 are required to apply for the scholarship under the Pre-Matric
Scholarship category whereas students of class 11 and 12 are required to
apply under the Post-Matric Scholarship category.